Competition Date: Friday, September 9th & Saturday, September 10th
Entry Fee: $10.00 - includes admission to Fair on date(s) of competition.
Registration: Online pre-registration is recommended, as there are limited spaces. Pre-registration will end August 30th. Artist may then register in person at the Fine Art Building on September 1st (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), September 2nd (10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.) or September 3rd (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) If there is space available, artists may register the morning of September 9th beginning at 9:00 a.m. at the Fine Art Building (secure your free tickets at the Administration Building prior to entering)
Check-In: Fine Art Building beginning at 9:00 a.m. each day. Approval of images will take place at check-in.
Location: Image creation location(s) will be specified at a later date.
Judging: Awards announced by 8:00 pm on Saturday, September 10th. If artist is not present, they will be notified if they win an award.
1. Participants bring their own chalk, shade, water and chairs. There are plenty of food options for purchase at the Fair.
2. One or two artists may participate per area. One of the participants must be 18 years or older. The second one may be youth or adult.
3. Area chalked will be 4' x 4' or 6' x 6'. Each artist group will decide and mark off their own square in their designated spot.
4. Artwork may be worked on using one or both days, the artist(s) decide. On September 9th, the artist must leave when the Fair closes at 11:00 p.m. On September 10th, the artist may begin at 9:00 a.m. and end at 7:00 p.m. for judging.
5. White water-based washable paint must be applied before the chalk, as an undercoating on the cement. Each group will supply and apply their own paint.
6. Only chalk based pastels are allowed. No oil based pastels, oil based chalk and no fixatives.
7. Subject matter for chalk art is anything related to the Utah State Fair.
8. Images need to be family friendly and approved before artist begins. We reserve the right to disqualify any artwork that is deemed inappropriate. NO political, religious, advertistement, nudity, explicit images or vulgar language permitted.
9. The Fine Art Deparment encourages original art images but if derived from other sources, please give them credit.
10. Photos of the completed chalk art may be used by the Utah State Fair for advertising purposes without compensation to the artist.