Earl "Sam" Blonquist
Open Class - August 23
Jr Market - August 13 (no late entries accepted)
Jr Breeding - August 13
Entry Fee - $3.00 per head (no additional charge for group classes)
Arrival & Release Schedule
|Dorper *NEW||Sept 5 - 6 to 11 AM||Sept 7 - after 9 PM|
|Corridale Columbia, Rambouillet, Other Rec Wool Breeds||Sept 8 - 6 to 11 AM||Sept 9 - after 9 PM|
|Dorsets, Hampshire, Suffolk, Other Rec Meat Breeds||Sept 10 - 6 to 11 AM||Sept 11 - after 9 PM|
|Sept 5||5:00 p.m.||Dorper|
|Sept 7||4:00 p.m.||4-H/FFA Registered Wool|
| ||5:00 p.m.||4-H/FFA Registered Meat|
| ||6:00 p.m.||4-H/FFA Commercial Meat|
| ||Judge - Billy Wade, Salem, OR|
|Sept. 9||4:00 p.m.||Columbia|
| ||5:00 p.m.||Rambouillet|
| ||6:00 p.m.||Corriedale|
| ||7:00 p.m.||Other Recognized Wool Breeds|
| ||Judge - GF Kennedy, Pipestone, MN|
|Sept. 11||1:00 p.m.||Dorsets|
| ||2:00 p.m.||Hampshire|
| ||3:30 p.m.||Suffolk|
| ||5:00 p.m.||Other Recognized Meat Breeds|
| ||Supreme Champions to follow|
| ||Judge - GF Kennedy, Pipestone, MN|
|Sept. 12||12:00 p.m.||Jr Sheep Showmanship|
| ||Judge - To be announced|
|Sept. 13||1:00 p.m.||Market Lambs|
| ||Judge - To be announced at Showtime|
Exhibitors are cautioned that show times are approximate and dependent on the length of the earlier show.
Exhibitors are required to read and abide by the General Rules, Health Regulations and Livestock General Rules.
1. Late entries will be accepted only if sufficient space is available, and will require payment of double the entry fee.
1. All sheep including young animals in purebred classes must be registered in the flock books of their respective breeds, and must have an eartag before entering the ring. The eartag number must, therefore, form a part of the entry. All animals must have an eartag clamped in the ear or have a legible tattoo.
2. To avoid over-crowding, while encouraging more entries, entries will be limited to one flock (16 head) per breed, per handler.
3. Exhibitors must have registration papers or copies of registration papers on all breeding animals for supervisor to check. If registration is pending, exhibitor must provide proof from the breed association that application for registration has been submitted. Papers must be checked at the Livestock Office before the show.
4. Lamb lots must have lambs teeth.
1. Fair personnel will clean the barn after open show exhibitors leave the grounds. Jr. exhibitors staying over must clean out their own pens into the alleyway after 9:00 p.m.
2. Meat breeds (including Suffolk, Hampshire, Dorset, Shropshire and Southdown) will be shown slick shorn. Animals must have been completely shorn within two weeks of the show, with no more than 1/4" wool at showtime.
Premiums & Awards
Utah State Fair Pays:
1. Premier Breeder - Trophy - This award to be made to one breeder, in each breed, of not to exceed eight animals winning the most money in open single lots, including animals bred by him but exhibited by others. (No limit on number exhibited but award automatically figured on top eight animals winning the most money.)
2. Barn Prize - One $40.00 award and ribbon for best kept exhibit for each rotation. A committee consisting of the supervisor and members of the Utah Registered Sheep Breeders will make inspections to determine the award. Judges will take into consideration the following: (1) Orderliness & cleanliness of pens and animals (2) Promptness in having pens clean by 8:00 a.m. (3) Systematic and neat arrangements of equipment and feed (4) Personal appearance of herdsmen and helpers (5) Observance of all rules and regulations (6) Cooperation with officials in promoting the show (7) Decorations (8) Educational features
Prizes will be awarded the last day of the show.
Supreme Champions - (Judging will be held immediately following Open Class judging on Wed., Sept. 11)
Supreme Champion Ram - Champion from all breeds competing - $40 and Buckle
Supreme Champion Ewe - Champion from all breeds competing - $40 and Buckle
CLASS CO - COLUMBIA
CLASS CR - CORRIDALE
CLASS DO - DORSET
CLASS DP - DORPER
CLASS HA - HAMPSHIRE
CLASS OM - OTHER RECOGNIZED MEAT BREEDS
CLASS OW - OTHER RECOGNIZED WOOL BREEDS
CLASS RA - RAMBOUILLET
CLASS SU - SUFFOLK
1. Ram 1 year old & under 2
2. Pen of 2 Yearling Rams
3. Fall Ram Lambs - born before Dec 14, 2012
4. Winter Ram Lambs - born Dec 15, 2012 to Feb 14, 2013
5. Spring Ram Lambs - born Feb 15, 2013 & after
6. Pen of 2 Ram Lambs
7. Best Pair - 1 Yearling Ram & 1 Lamb Ram (only one entry per exhibitor)
8. CHAMPION RAM
9. RESERVE CHAMPION RAM
10. Ewe 1 year old & under 2
11. Pen of 2 Yearling Ewes
12. Flock - owned by exhibitor (to consist of 1 Yearling Ram and 2 Yearling Ewes) - only one entry per exhibitor.
13. Fall Ewe Lambs - born before Dec 14, 2012
14. Winter Ewe Lambs - born Dec 15, 2012 to Feb 14, 2013
15. Spring Ewe Lambs - born Feb 15, 2013 & after
16. Pen of 2 Ewe Lambs
17. Young Flock - owned by exhibitor (to consist of 1 Ram Lamb and 2 Ewe Lambs) - only one entry per exhibitor
18. Best 4 Head - 4 animals either sex - (only one entry per exhibitor)
19. Best Pair - 1 Yearling Ewe & 1 Ewe Lamb (only one entry per exhibitor)
20. CHAMPION EWE
21. RESERVE CHAMPION EWE
The Utah Registered Sheep Breeders Association
will give awards to exhibitors at the Utah State Fair who are current paid members of the Utah Registered Sheep Breeders Association. (The only exception being youth not graduated from high school or over the age of high school graduation may participate without being a member of the Utah Registered Sheep Breeders Association.) Memberships must be paid prior to June 30.
The following awards will be made in the Hampshire, Suffolk, Columbia, and Rambouillet breeds to current paid members on Pen of 2 Ram Lambs, Pen of 2 Ewe Lambs, Pen of 2 Yearling Rams and Pen of 2 Yearling Ewes.
|1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||4th Place|
A trophy to the exhibitor of the Supreme Champion Ram and Supreme Champion Ewe will be awarded. Exhibitor does not have to be a current paid member to be eligible for Supreme Awards.